[ELDK] U-Boot version required to boot kernel 3.10 on PowerPC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 25 20:21:10 CEST 2014

Dear Peter,

In message <4EB0CE59-6870-4DE7-AC24-2FA4B5EAA73F at gmail.com> you wrote:

> Sure. The result is
>
> INFO: Uncompressed kernel (size 0x576ac0) overlaps the address of the
> wrapper(0x400000)
> INFO: Fixing the link_address of wrapper to (0x600000)

I don;t know what exactly you are doing here, but you definitely have
a serious problem here.  Can you try and build the kernel with a
simple, known to be workign kernel configuration without any such
fancy features enabled?

> Image Name:   Linux-3.10.42
> Created:      Wed Jun 25 15:45:54 2014
> Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
> Data Size:    2863198 Bytes = 2796.09 kB = 2.73 MB
> Load Address: 00000000
> Entry Point:  00000000
>
> I load that kernel via TFTP to address 0x600000 (is that ok or is it
> supposed not to overlap with the wrapper?)

Note that these "INFO:" messages are note printed by U-Boot, but by
Linux kernel code (arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper) which should not be
there at all for a plain Linux kernel image.  So your problem appears
not to be in U-Boot land, but somewhere in how you configure and build
the Linux kernel, probably as a result of enabling non-trivial kernel
options.

My recommendation is realy to get rid of all such fancy stuff and get
a plain stupid Linux kernel image working first (i.e. without any of
this wrapper stuff) before to venture out into such areas.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing."   - G. Steinem