[ELDK] Cross Compile newer bash rpm for eldk (for ppc-v42-1)

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 12 20:57:16 CET 2014

Adir,

I did not see your original post, so I do not know what errors you encountered.  (I do not understand why you are using a CentOS source RPM for a PPC CPU.)  However, it should be possible to update an old bash to patch the ShellShock vulnerability.  I have done it on several of our CentOS and Mac OS X systems that are many years old.  I recommend that you stick with the version of bash your system already uses, apply the latest patches to that release, and build that.  On your target system, enter "bash --version" to display the version.  For example, on my Mac OS X 10.6 system, the version is 3.2.X.  You can download the GNU sources and patches for that version directly from https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/bash.  Alternately, if you have the sources for the version you are running (ELDK v4.2), all you will need are the patches since that release.  I think in either case you will have to apply the patches you need manually.  If you use the GNU sources, there is a configure command that will hopefully create a makefile you can use.  If you are patching the ELDK v4.2 sources, follow the ELDK instructions to update an application.

For example, for the Mac OS X 10.6 bash, I performed these steps after I determined I needed patches 052 through 057 (which was the latest patch at the time):

• Download the patch files from gnu.org. These must start with bash32-052, and include
     all subsequent patches sequentially:

  $ for patch in 052 053 054 055 056 057
    do
       curl -O https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/bash/bash-3.2-patches/bash32-${patch}
    done

• Apply the patches in order:

  $ cd bash-92/bash-3.2
  $ for patch in 052 053 054 055 056 057
    do
       patch -p0 <../../bash32-${patch}
    done

• Build the patched version of bash:

This is where you would run either the ELDK build procedure or the GNU configure and make.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov