[ELDK] whether eldk 5.5.3 support 64bit cross compilation for powerpc e6500 core?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 2 16:28:46 CET 2015

Dear Karunakaran,

In message <2e2b079b34b80bb6ace355ea7cec61d1 at datapatterns.co.in> you wrote:

> I wants to compile u-boot in 32bit mode(with Utilizing 36bit physical
> Addressing) and
> linux in 64bit mode for the e6500 core(T2080 processor).

This is actually not an ELDK related question.  Both U-Boot and Linux
take great care to make sure they use the needed compiler options.
ELDK settings have no influence on whether you build a 32 or a 64 bit
Linux kernel.

> I have been unable to compile the linux in 64bit by changing the flag as
> -m64.
>
> Kindly suggest me, How to compile the linux in 64bit mode for e6500
> based core?

You have to select the correct Linux kernel configuration, i. e. you
have to select the CONFIG_PPC64 option when configuring the Linux
kernel.  From the help page:

│ CONFIG_PPC64:
│
│ This option selects whether a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel
│ will be built.
│
│ Symbol: PPC64 [=n]
│ Type  : boolean
│ Prompt: 64-bit kernel

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Old programmers never die, they just become managers.