[ELDK] Cross Compile SRC RPM for eldk5.4

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Feb 21 21:49:00 CET 2015

Dear Adir Atias,

In message <AMSPR05MB148C173C87A93CD25873E77DA200 at AMSPR05MB148.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com> you wrote:
> All the story is missing RPM tools for cross compiling :
> I attached all the steps I did (following the instructions on site)

As Pavel already commented, we cannot see any "attached all steps".

> And after eldk5.4 cross compile env installation ,
> rpmbuild/rpm tools are not exists.

Well, if you installed the binsary distribution of the ELDK as is, it
would also have been a good idea to read the associated information,
especially section "Working with Packages" [1] of the FAQ.

The key part of this document reads:

	Answer:
	    ELDK 5.1 and later uses "ipk" packages for software
	    package management.

The RPM package management system has a notorius huge memory footprint
which makes it not really attractive for resource-restricted embedded
systems, so ELDK uses another package format instead.  As a result,
you will not find any RPM tools in the binary distribution.

If you want to use RPM instead of ipk, you have to change the
configuration and rebuild - see this part in your conf/local.conf
file:

# This variable lists which packaging formats to enable. Multiple package backends
# can be enabled at once and the first item listed in the variable will be used
# to generate the root filesystems.
# Options are:
#  - 'package_deb' for debian style deb files
#  - 'package_ipk' for ipk files are used by opkg (a debian style embedded package manager)
#  - 'package_rpm' for rpm style packages
# E.g.: PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm package_deb package_ipk"
# We default to rpm:
PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk"

Either replace "package_ipk" by "package_rpm" or add "package_rpm" to
the list.  Be prepared that the size of your root file systems will
explode.

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/FrequentlyAskedQuestionsAndAnswers#Working_with_Packages

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.