[ELDK] installing 5.6

K Richard Pixley rpixley at graphitesystems.com
Wed Jan 28 20:31:07 CET 2015

On 1/28/15 11:16 , Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Richard,
>
> In message <54C915BC.5070407 at graphitesystems.com> you wrote:
>>> I should have read this thread to the end.  You are right again, and
>>> although my previous quick&dirty patch is good enough to build a
>>> Linux kernel, this one needs fixing, too.
>> It's not good enough for some kernels.  As I mentioned earlier, at least
>> the port I'm trying to use, (looks like all powerpc's, actually),
>> overwrite those variables at the Makefile level so the env versions are
>> never seen.
> I tested current mainline with two different configurations (using
> mpc5200_defconfig and mpc85xx_defconfig).  Both build fine with just
> sourcing the env file, un-setting LDFLAGS, and running "make" without
> any specific command line options, i. e. just
>
> 	-> make mpc85xx_defconfig
> 	-> make -s -j8 uImage
>
> In which way is your kernel different?  where does it throw errors?
1. produces scary /warnings /on -mcpu, which is apparently now obsolete.
2. fails with an error on linking vmlinux because it can't find "libgcc.a".

Further investigation showed that the value "libgcc.a" was coming from
"mumble-gcc -print-libgcc-file-name" which produces different values on
powerpc-4xx, (full absolute path name), and powerpc-e500v2, (just
"libgcc.a"), as reported earlier.  Passing -sysroot gets the
powerpc-e500v2 toolchain to produce a useful result from
-print-libgcc-file-name.

I agree that if -print-libgcc-file-name behaved similarly on
powerpc-e500v2 to the way it behaves on powerpc-4xx, then my command
line CC passing shouldn't be necessary.  But for now, with eldk-5.6,
passing CC seems to be a reasonable workaround.

I'm not sourcing any env file.  But I /am/ setting PATH in the
environment, and CROSS_COMPILE and CC on the make command line.

--rich