Power on vs. reset?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 30 18:12:58 CEST 2020

Dear Simon,

In message <CAPnjgZ2xA_fAqoXN_Z-1-_+Uekob=eEXd=Ur965j2WuZ-hN4Ng at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Yes I think that would be useful. The way I see it is that reset may
> result in U-Boot booting, or not ,if it is not present. But typically
> if I have just built U-Boot and want to get it on the board I should
> reset it.

Actually you want to test both: reset (warm start), and power cycle
(with delay of N seconds without power to make sure everything is
really wiothout power).

All too often some initialization is kept over plain reset and
everything appears to be working find, just to get stuck at the next
power on.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A good aphorism is too hard for the tooth of time, and  is  not  worn
away  by  all  the  centuries,  although  it serves as food for every
epoch.                                  - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
                          _Miscellaneous Maxims and Opinions_ no. 168