[U-Boot-Users] How to start

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 31 17:12:00 CET 2002

Dear Martin,

in message <7164.1041340389 at www42.gmx.net> you wrote:

> I'm working on a MPC5xx microcontroller and intend to add some features for
> the
> MPC5xx to this project. But before I can start I have some questions about
> the
> project:

Excellent. You are welcome!

> - Have there been any effort to implement a MPC5xx port already?

None that I know of. Athough there are some plans, or projects in the
queues :-)

>   I've seen the MPC8xx seems to be well supported. Unfortunatly I don't
>   know this uC well, but it seems that both don't have a lot in common.

It depends. They are pretty similar if you look  at  the  instruction
set,  and  pretty  different  if  you  look  at  things  like  memory
controller, MMU, or peripherals.

> - I've read the recommended documentation (README, some source...) but
>   what I'm missing is something which discribes the minimal interface
> between
>   the board and cpu specific part of the code and the actual u-boot code.
>   Something like an API documentation. Is such a document available?

No. There is the source code, though.

>   What I would like to set up is a minimal configuration like this.

This is the standard feature list, it seems.

Best regards, and a Happy New Year!

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.