[U-Boot-Users] CVS Write Access to Das U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 4 15:15:03 CET 2002

Dear Marius,

in message <Pine.LNX.4.40.0211041505080.2379-100000 at mag.devdep.sysgo.de> you wrote:

> As the maintainer of the ARMboot project I welcome your effort to
> merge the PPCboot and ARMboot sources and making them available within
> the U-Boot project. Here at SYSGO, we are ready to discontinue the
> ARMboot project in favour of U-Boot, if we can continue our work on
> the U-Boot source tree.

You are welcome.

> Therefore I would appreciate to have CVS write access to the U-Boot's
> source repository on SF.NET. Efficient Open Source development
> requires working along the "Release Early, Release Often" scheme. This
> is severely hampered if all updates are channelled through one person,
> who might not always be available.

Your argument is valid, but as I already explained to Robert Kaiser,
it is not the only valid argument; here is a famous quote:

    Conceptual integrity in turn dictates that the design must
    proceed from one mind, or from a very small number of
    agreeing resonant minds.
	      - Frederick Brooks Jr., "The Mythical Man Month"

Before  I  add  anybody  to  the  project  as  developer  with  write
permissions  to  CVS,  I  want  to make sure that there is at least a
minimul level of such "resonance". This includes simple  things  like
conforming  to  a  common  coding  style,  in-advance  negotiation of
changes with global impact, etc.