[U-Boot-Users] parallel FLASH

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 2 13:05:42 CEST 2003

Hello Erwin,

in message <1049272189.27238.18.camel at drake.erwin.muffin.org> you wrote:

> U-Boot only allows on setup for BR0/OR0 and resets the bus width, so i
> hacked the chip select initialization part to not reset the bus width.
> The question is should u-boot not all ways leave the bus width of CS0
> alone ?

What exactly are you talking about? U-Boot does not change  the  port
size of the boot device unless you configure it that way.

> An other thing that happens is that i didn't really find a generic way
> to do flash programming. All boards seem to have their own (copied from
> each other) flash routines. Would it be possible to have more generic
> FLASH routines, and for example have a config option to select which
> FLASH chips are possible (to maybe save space)?

It may be possible, but I have not seen such a patch yet.  Note  that
it  should not increase size of the existing systems, and it must not
break existing code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Life is a process, not a principle, a mystery  to  be  lived,  not  a
problem to be solved. - Gerard Straub, television producer and author
(stolen from Frank Herbert??)