[U-Boot-Users] parallel FLASH

Erwin Rol erwin at muffin.org
Wed Apr 2 13:24:08 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 13:05, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello Erwin,
>
> in message <1049272189.27238.18.camel at drake.erwin.muffin.org> you wrote:
> >
> > U-Boot only allows on setup for BR0/OR0 and resets the bus width, so i
> > hacked the chip select initialization part to not reset the bus width.
> > The question is should u-boot not all ways leave the bus width of CS0
> > alone ?
>
> What exactly are you talking about? U-Boot does not change  the  port
> size of the boot device unless you configure it that way.

Well in cpu/mpc8xx/cpu_init.c br0 and or0 are always set to
CFG_BR0_PRELIM and CFG_OR0_PRELIM. So if the bus width is set to 16 in
CFG_BR0_PRELIM my board will not run when it is a dual-FLASH version,
and when i set it to 32 bit it won't run when its a single-FLASH
version. And i don't want to make two different bootloaders, since that
flash configuration is the only difference. So what i did was just
masking out the BR_PS_MSK to keep those the same as they where on reset,
and that works fine.

> > An other thing that happens is that i didn't really find a generic way
> > to do flash programming. All boards seem to have their own (copied from
> > each other) flash routines. Would it be possible to have more generic
> > FLASH routines, and for example have a config option to select which
> > FLASH chips are possible (to maybe save space)?
>
> It may be possible, but I have not seen such a patch yet.  Note  that
> it  should not increase size of the existing systems, and it must not
> break existing code.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

- Erwin

--
              Dipl.-Ing. Erwin Rol - Software Engineering
tel: +49-(0)8024-479377  gsm: +49-(0)171-6929198 fax: +49-(0)8024-479379
                        email: erwin at muffin.org