[U-Boot-Users] The dreaded embedded environment - linker barf!

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Mon Aug 25 07:20:44 CEST 2003

Greetings

Well what a suprise!! I've been struck by the environment mapping yet
again!.

If I change my memory map for 'top' booting I *should* just need to set
the TEXT_BASE address to threequarters up my 4M flash device (so it
starts at 0xfff00000), set the CFG_MONITOR_BASE to the same and leave
CFG_FLASH_BASE where it is along with all other address config items.

Unfortunately the linker barfs on the embedded environment value which
is defined as an offset into the image (well, actually the flash
according to the code). Setting it as CFG_ENV_OFFSET or CFG_ENV_ADDR
makes no difference (so I can't put it at the start of the flash outside
the image either).

The error message from the linker is:
u-boot.lds:132 invalid assignment to location counter
- the line number refering to the line after the closing brace for the
whole file which doesn't help much!!

Any ideas appreciated!

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand