[U-Boot-Users] Simple bootloader in the kernel and PPCBoot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 25 18:21:02 CET 2003

In message <1046186745.1130.50.camel at pla> you wrote:

> I will debug it, but have not done it. I have an BDM degugger under
> windows. I am thinking of purchase one of the debuggers on your site.
> What does this cost, and does it include the GDB patched and ready for
> use?

The BDM4GDB parallel port  adapter  is  49.95  Euro,  which  includes
cables (BDM, parallel port) and software on CDROM.

The list  price  for  the  bundle  BDI2000  plus  interface  software
"bdiGDB" for GDB debugger is 2430 Euro.

> That's right. If I load it into RAM on location 100000 and say "go
> 110000" it boots...
> But it does only work if I say "go" from RAM, not from flash. But if I

This means that the "simple" bootstrap loader is not even capable  of
doing this right :-(

> encapsulate the image with an header with "mkimage" I can boot it from
> flash using the "bootm <addr>" command.

Because then bootm will copy the code to the load address first.  But
the  "simple" bootstrap loader is really overkill then: everything it
does is already included with U-Boot, just better.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually a "No Exit" sign.