[U-Boot-Users] Why S-Records?

Rupesh S rupeshs at myw.ltindia.com
Fri May 30 19:08:21 CEST 2003

Hi,
Pardon me if this is out of scope in this groups..

The discussion is about usage of S-Record files for Downloads instead of Binary file.
Generally S-Record Downloads are used when the medium of communication is Serial Port , which has no Error Checking mechanism inbuilt in hardware.
Whereas when we consider the Network download throgh Ethernet, most bootloaders (u-boot as well) does a binary download. Is this because the Ethernet hardware has a Error Checking mechanism inbuilt ?
If yes, even using a USB hardware for download also can use Binary instead of S-Records??

Please comment on my arguments?

Rupesh