[U-Boot-Users] Standalone application problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 25 20:18:06 CET 2003

Hello,

in message <006201c3b385$fcc72e00$1000a8c0 at tsihq.com> you wrote:

> However, I would like to burn the application into the onboard flash and
> execute it on powerup. If I copy the .bin to 0xff800000 and then set my
> bootcmd to  "go 0xff80000" everything seems to work OK until I leave the

You cannot do this so easy. First, the image is linked to a  specific
address; it is NOT position-independend. Second, the image expects to
find  writable  data  and  BSS  segments  which  fail  when burned to
ROM/flash.

> How do I load a stand-alone application .bin onto flash after loading it
> into RAM?  Secondly, how do I load and run "hello_world" (ELF) correctly?
> I know I'm missing something really basic here!

You can copy a stand-alone application to flash for storage;  but  to
run  it  you will have to load (copy it back) to it's link address in
RAM. If you want images which support XIP from flash you will need to
twiddle the linker script a bit.

Also note that you can  wrap  your  stand-alone  application  into  a
"Standalone  Image"  (image type IH_TYPE_STANDALONE) which would take
care of (eventually uncompressing and)  loading  the  image  to  it's
start address.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced.       - John Keats