[U-Boot-Users] Debugging U-Boot on 440GP

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 26 23:44:07 CET 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0311260942160.20886-100000 at dallas.texasconnect.net> you wrote:

> > I have often recommended to use just a MINIMAL inti  script  for  the
> > BDI.  Don't  touch the memory controller. Just configure the absolute
> > necessary minimum (things like disabling a watchdog etc.).
>
> While this may work on many systems, I found it did not work on the

It works on ALL systems for which a working port of U-boot exists.

Remember that without the BDI attached U-Boot will  have  to  perform
all  required  initialization anyway - so which initialization should
be needed for the BDI? Only these which  are  caused  by  the  slower
speed  over  the  JTAG port (disable watchdogs) or dealing with debug
support.

> DBAu1500 board.  I spent more time than I had planned on getting a config
> file for the BDI to work with this board.  I ended up with a config script

I agree that this is not a trivial task.

> that did pretty much a complete initialization of the entire board.
> Without that I couldn't even get u-boot to run from ram.

This just means that your port of U-Boot is still broken.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Ever try. Ever fail. No matter. Try again. Fail again.  Fail  better.
                                                        -- S. Beckett