[U-Boot-Users] Uncompressing kernel ..... OK (Hangs here)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 10 20:18:44 CEST 2003

Dear James,

in message <OJEPIMKHOKJAJIDJLJBNMEBMCAAA.jbates at paradise.co.uk> you wrote:

> I have now managed to get the image to be read in and kernel image
> uncompressed etc. I am getting the problem where it hangs after
> Uncompression though. My previous issue with Bad Magic Number errors was due
> to the compilation of the mkimage tool. It was producing images with the
> wrong endianness in the header. Not sure if this may still be my problem tho

Can you please explain how you managed to do that? Is there a  chance
that  your  toolchain  is  seriously broken (I think this is the most
likely explanation).

> I have tried both settings of clocks_in_mhz and have made sure that I copied

This sentence means that you probably tried thewrong thing. There are
no two settings of clocks_in_mhz. Either  the  variable  is  set  (no
matter which value it has), or it is not set.

See also

> u-boot.h from uboot to ppcboot.h in Linux. I have made sure that IMAP_ADDR
> is correct but I still get the same thing, just hangs after uncompression. I
> am totally stumped.

Then there is only one way: attach your BDI2000, and check what's going on.

> My board is an adaptation of the MPC8260ADS. I am using BlueCat 4.0 and
> u-boot 4.8 (tried 4.0 and 4.7) etc and have tried booting both the uImage
> and kdi files (after turning them into u-boot images with mkimgage).

There is no such version of U-Boot as 4.x. We are still at 0.4.x.

Please note that U-Boot supports both LynxOS and BlueCat  linux  KDIs
directly.

> ## Current stack ends at 0x03F6CBD8 => set upper limit to 0x00800000
> ## cmdline at 0x007FFF00 ... 0x007FFF10
> bd address  = 0x03F6CFB4
> memstart    = 0x00000000
> memsize     = 0x04000000
> flashstart  = 0xFE000000
> flashsize   = 0x7FCFFFF7

Your flashsize is seriously broken.

> baudrate    = 115200 bps

Are you sure your image will initialize the console for 115200 bps? I
don't see you passing something like "console=ttyS0,115200"  as  boot
argument.

Try:

- booting at a standard baudrate like 9600 bps
- passing correct boot arguments
- booting, and then test if the image is actually running even if
  you see no console output (try pinging it over the network, or telnet
  or whatever your image allows)

> PS: Apologies for this signature at the bottom of my posts, it is attached
> by my employer out of my control.

You still have a couple of options: Change the mail  service.  Change
the employer. etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People  who  aren't  busy
all the time might start to _think_.  - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_