[U-Boot-Users] Need help booting linux on IBM 405EP eval board

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Sat Apr 3 07:22:40 CEST 2004

--On Friday, April 02, 2004 11:06 AM +0800 "=?gb2312?q?Sam=20Song?="
<samsongshu at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
>> In the older kernel, I'm using a "make pImage" and
>> in the newer kernel I do "make uImage". I've also
>> tried running the mkimage tool manually with
>> various options to see if I could get a kernel to
>> boot. iminfo says the kernel is fine and I get to
>> the "Uncompressing Linux Kernel ... OK" stage
>> but it stops there.
>
> One more step to make it? OK.Pls have a  look at
> ppcboot.h and YOUR_BOARD.h in LINUX kernel.The
> definition of bd_info structure in them should be
> compatible with include/asm-ppc/u-boot.h in u-boot.
> This is a FAQ in DULG,I guess.

Thanks. I've seen the FAQ and verified that include/asm-ppc/u-boot.h in
U-Boot defines exactly the same struct as arch/ppc/platforms/evb405ep.h in
Linux. I've gone so far as to just copy the Linux struct definition into
u-boot.h, replacing the struct there with all the #ifdef's, rebuilding and
reprogramming U-Boot on my system. That didn't help.

I'm really stuck. I know Wolfgang says I should just read the FAQs. I
suspect it's something more complicated than that. If anybody here actually
has an IBM 405EP evaluation board and can boot Linux using U-Boot on that
board, I'd really be grateful if you'd contact me. I won't waste a lot of
your time with stupid questions, but I think just a little bit of help
would get me over this hump.

Thanks
Jeff

--