[U-Boot-Users] [Newbie help] Booting a MVME5500 - where to start?

Oliver Korpilla okorpil at fh-landshut.de
Thu Apr 29 15:40:23 CEST 2004

Hello!

I have a MVME5500 board from Motorola, and want to boot it with U-boot.

It's netbooting okay with the motload, and have a fully working Linux
kernel for it, but I want to boot from flash so I guess I need a better
bootloader (don't know why they dropped romboot). ;)

The MVME5500 features (among other stuff) a Marvell GT64260B system
controller and a Motorola 7455 PowerPC.

As I have seen from the release, U-Boot is supporting the processor, and
similar system controllers, so I guess I have to add support for the
Marvell controller and add a config.

How can I do this?

As I've read people are using Linux code to ease development, so I guess
I could reuse code from the kernel for full Marvell support?

Will that and a config file suffice, or what else will be needed?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver Korpilla