[U-Boot-Users] Re: TOC

Federico Lucifredi federico at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 2 22:33:25 CET 2004

Hello WD,

> >  Can someone shine some light on the TOC pointer's purpose and use in U-boot code?
>
> Yes, we can. But we won't. You will not receive  any  helpo  from  me
> this time because you are violating too many basic netiquette rules:

I am sorry, but to my credit, I did apologize to the list for the mistake 2 minutes later (I got interrupted while I was writing the e-mail and forgot to clip it and set the Subj, which I usually do at the beginning).

So, I'll give it another try:

Hello WD,
just a quick one. I am new to PPC and this TOC "thing" that we keep in r2. How is that used? what is it for? there seems to be extremely little mention of it online.

My understanding is that the linker uses it to resolve references (of what kind ? constants only or func calls? exceptions?) between different object files, but as u-boot runs without a loader, what is the meaning of this?

Is there any documentation on the EABI relevant to gcc for ppc?

Best - Federico

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish

Muad'Dib of Caladan (Federico L. Lucifredi)- Harvard University & BU
http://metcs.bu.edu/~lucifred