[U-Boot-Users] Multi-Image File Creation

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 18 22:51:58 CET 2004

In message <20040217222540.GA32145 at raptor.synergymicro.com> you wrote:
> I think I've seen this question posted before but I haven't been able to find it.

How did you search?

> Is there a way to extract the vmlinux.gz image from a U-Boot multi-image?  I think it's something like this but I'm guessing I need the original vmlinux.gz size -
>
> # strip the wrapper
> dd if=uImage.initrd bs=76 skip=1 of=uImage_initrd.stripped
>
> # extract the gzipped kernel
> dd if=uImage_initrd.stripped of=vmlinux.gz bs=??? count=??? skip=???

It took me just 2 minutes to search the mailing list  archive  (which
appears  to be warking at the moment - big surprise!). Here is what I
got:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5849825

And now for the funny part of the story: guess who  was  asking  this
question half a year ago, and received a detailed reply???

Guess who???

Don't you remember???

It was a person named "Tom Guilliams <tguilliams at san.rr.com>".

Funny coincidence, isn't it?

[No, I ain't going to make this a FAQ just because the  same  persons
asks the same question againa and again.]

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.