[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and S3c2410

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 23 17:13:59 CET 2004

In message <1077551762.4835.50.camel at nios> you wrote:
> I'm far from an expert on the matter ;)
> But I would try to set the addresses to 0x30000000 then. The kernel will

This depends on how the kernel was linked.

> be expanded to RAM first and then a jump will be made to the address in
> the RAM to start executing the kernel.
>
> In my situation, I used 0x0 as start/entry. RAM starts on that address
> too.

This is correct on PowerPC, but wrong on all other systems.

The address to be used  is  defined  in  the  Linux  kernel's  linker
commands  /  scripts;  seach which value of PTEXTADDR gets defined in
"arch/arm/Makefile" for your board; in your  "arch/arm/boot/Makefile"
you should then have a build target like this:

uImage:	compressed/piggy.gz
	mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C gzip \
	-a $(PTEXTADDR) -e $(PTEXTADDR) \
	-n 'ARM Linux-$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)' \
	-d compressed/piggy.gz $@

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply  to  serve  as  a
warning to others.