[U-Boot-Users] Unexpected crash in init_baudrate

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 7 23:03:19 CET 2004

In message <20040107215219.40742.qmail at web41413.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:
> I am porting U-Boot over to a new product running an
> MPC855T processor, 512KB of flash, 16MB of SDRAM, and
> a 32KB Simtek NVRAM.  I have the board booting up to
> the point where it tries to read the baudrate for the

Remember that at this time  there  is  just  the  (small)  stack:  no
writable data segment, no standard C global data.

> RS-232 port (init_baudrate).  When it goes into the
> getenv_r function from within init_baudrate, it seems
> to eventually crash before it comes back with an
> answer.  The system seems to read from the NVRAM fine
> when it boots and runs crc32 on it.  It also crashes
> if I change CFG_ENV_SIZE to 0x4 and force it to read

Ummm... an environment size of 0x4 = 4 Bytes??? Are you sure??

> the default values (env_get_char_init).  Does anyone
> have any ideas as to what can be causing this?  I'm
> going to keep poking around myself, but I just wanted
> to see if anyone else has had a problem like this
> while porting U-Boot.

For a start, put  the  environment  in  flash.  (It's  probably  more
reliable anyway as you can configure for redundand storage).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Worlds may change, galaxies disintegrate, but a woman always  remains
a woman.
	-- Kirk, "The Conscience of the King", stardate 2818.9