[U-Boot-Users] Hardware Debuggers for 8280 :: More Thoughts :: Trace-32

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 9 07:42:01 CET 2004

In message <1B1B671D73FED2119B1000A0C9B8A96087FCC7 at ORBNET> Kip Leitner wrote:

> To debug, as well as observe the operation of U-boot on PQ2FADS (MPC8280), I
> have been using for several months -- with fairly good results -- the
> in-circuit debugger Trace-32, from Lauterbach, a German company. This JTAG
> interface tool allows me to write scripts in their debugger language,
> "Practice", which erase the flash memory on the PQ2FADS and iteratively
> reprogram it with successive versions of u-boot, so I can see the effects of
> adding and removing various u-boot features.

Just to point out: you can do the same using the BDI2000, but without
need to learn a new, proprietarty language. I normally use the  BDI's
telnet  interface  in combination with expect / tcl scripts. The same
can be done using the GDB command line interface and  definitions  of
GDB macros, or again expect.

Once more this is an area where one group of people will ask for  the
fancy  GUI tool with "extended features", while others are happy with
a standard command line interface which is scriptable using  standard
tools of the Unix toolbox.

> If anyone else is using Trace-32 ICD (In-Circuit Debugger, note -- not
> IC(E)mulator), I would have interest in contacting you offline in order to
> discuss some of the finer points of using this tool in the development
> process.

Sorry, I can't help here.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
	-- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3