[U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 14 10:44:51 CET 2004

Anders Larsen wrote:
> Richard Danter <richard.danter at ntlworld.com> schreibt:
>
>>VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) wrote:
>>
>>>My suggestion: sell it on eBay as a spare.  If someone is using a
>>
>>visionIce, it is nice to have backup hardware in case one goes <poof>.
>>
>>Unfortunately selling it on eBay would be a contravention of the
>>software license. Don't do it!
>

> IANAL, but I guess Ryan isn't bound by any software license, since he
> only has the VisionICE _hardware_ to sell...

There is software running on the vICE/vProbe, so you don't have to be
selling the debugger GUI (vClick) to break the non-transferrable part of
the license.

Even if that were not the case, it would not be very fair on the
unfortunate person who bought the probe. Since WR track every probe by
it's serial number, the buyer would be unable to get a real license.

So they would have paid money for something they can not use.

Guess it is a moral decision then - do you sell something you know the
buyer will be unable to use??