[U-Boot-Users] Intel Strataflash in 8-bit mode

Rune Raknerud rune.raknerud at cargoscan.com
Wed Jan 14 11:05:20 CET 2004

Hi

I am porting the board/ppmc8260/strataflash.c to my custom board, which is based on a MPC8245 with Intel 28F640J3A in 8-bit mode. The 28F640J3A can be configured as 8 bit or 16 bit wide.  flash_detect_cfi() returns 16 bit portwidth (FLASH_CFI_16BIT) and 8 bit chipwidth (FLASH_CFI_BY8), while my configuration is 8 bit portwidth and 8 bit chipwidth (BYTE# pin is tied low => the device is in 8 bit mode). The 28F640J3A does not use A0 when reading identifier codes, so using  16 bit portwidth returns the correct results from the query structure. But using 16 bit portwidth in write_buff(), the result is that my data is written to just word aligned addresses. My quick and dirty fix is to set portwidth to 8 bit when entering write_buff() and restoring portwidth to 16 bit when leaving write_buff(). Also the flash_get_size() reports twice as much flash memory. Is there a way to detect if the device is in 8 or 16 bit mode? Has anyone used this device in 8 bit mode and already solved the problems that I experience?

Regards
Rune Raknerud
Cargoscan AS