[U-Boot-Users] RTC for MPC5200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 15 12:00:20 CET 2004

In message <06cc01c3db51$e2f496e0$6d4ba8c0 at alb.sub.de> you wrote:

> > Added (as rtc/5xxx.c).

Actually it's rtc/mpc5xxx

> I do not understand the logic behind this filename. Are all 5xxx having this
> type of RTC?
> MGT5100 ? MPC5200 ? MCF5xxx (Coldfire) ??? MPC5500-Series ?

At least MGT5100 and MPC5200.

I was mostly following the agreed-on naming conventions of the  Linux
kernel, where most files were named mpc5xxx...

> So at least a filename like mpc5xxx.c would be better... Currently it

Actually this is what I used.

OTOH in Linux there is arch/ppc/5xxx_io, too ;-)

> supports only the MPC5200 and nothing else

MGT5100?

> 1. these instructions were meant for Victor Wren, who had asked for MPC5200
> RTC support

You sent it to the public mailing list. It was  5  minutes  of  extra
work to prepare a proper patch.

I _had_ to complain because ther eis some tendency to  drop  arbitray
source  files  to the list with just laconic comments "this is what I
am using - feel free to try it - it's sink or swim."

There are documented rules, and they should be followed.

> 2. the patch for Makefile would not have worked when you rename the file

This is my internal problem, and I have tools to deal with that.

> 3. can a patch produce a new file in CVS? If yes, how?

Of course it can. See the documentation in the README (and/or read in
the diff man page about the "-N" option).

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Our way is peace.
	-- Septimus, the Son Worshiper, "Bread and Circuses",
	   stardate 4040.7.