[U-Boot-Users] Hi, I am new to U-Boot, how do I get started?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 21 22:35:34 CET 2004

In message <200401211917.36982.vidya_s at lgsoftindia.com> you wrote:

> I think we need to create our own board specific directory and cpu specific
> directory. Am i right?

As described in the README. A new cpu directory is only  needed  when
you add support for a new processor.

> As this uboot is command based, (if i am not wrong) those command parts remain
> unchanged right? I mean i dont have to do anything extra for the commands

Right.

> support? If i need to implement a Network boot i.e, NFS boot, what are the

You cannot boot over NFS - that would require TCP/IP and a lot  more.
U-Boot can only use DHCP/BOOTP/TFTP for network booting.

> steps that i need to follow. If i do my processor specific ethernet setup in
> the cpu directory is that enough?

Of course you have to make sure that your network driver gets  hooked
into the network routines.

> One more thing is if i want a serial boot (serial download), what are the
> steps i need to follow. Could you pls brief me out?

Just use the commands "loads" or "loadb".

> Are there any other directories that i need to modify other than the board and
> cpu?

Normally you don't need to do anything in a CPU  specific  directory.
Follow the instructions in the README.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You know that feeling when you're leaning back  on  a  stool  and  it
starts to tip over? Well, that's how I feel all the time.
- Steven Wright