[U-Boot-Users] Heads up for ppl using the cpu/mpc8xx/spi.c

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 26 18:53:50 CEST 2004

In message <OFFBF98B13.2D8DB2ED-ON85256EDD.00553965-85256EDD.0055DB25 at nanometrics.ca> you wrote:

> For those who are using an old u-boot version 0.4.8 like me please be

Question 1: why are you using this old version?

Question 2: is your observation still relevant to current code?

> warned that the code somehow is setting a register (spi->spi_rpbase) for
> which there is no defined behaviour (good or bad) when the spi ucode patch
> is _not_ applied.

What makes you think so?

> #ifdef CFG_SPI_UCODE_PATCH
>         spi  = (spi_t *)&cp->cp_dpmem[spi->spi_rpbase];
> #else
>         spi  = (spi_t *)&cp->cp_dparam[PROFF_SPI];
>         /* Disable relocation */
> #if THIS_IS_GIVING_ME_GRIEF
>         spi->spi_rpbase = 0;
> #endif
> #endif
>
> I hope most of you would agree this is causing more harm then good.

As the comment explains, this code is intended to  disable  parameter
RAM relocation in case the uCode patch is not used.

What exactly is your problem?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct  answer
to any question.
	-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3