[U-Boot-Users] PPC 8260 Linux boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 28 14:50:58 CEST 2004

In message <41079531.2000204 at helicontech.co.il> you wrote:

> >You do have a development system which you used to compile  and  link
> >your  Linux  kernel,  don't  you?  And you do have the "grep" command
> >installed on that host, right?
> >
> Ok, I think it should be written clearly in the wiki that this is the
> host system.

You are the first person to misunderstand this.

> >Read the documentation provided  by  the  manufacturer  of  your  RAM
> >chips. It shosuld contain a section about the SDRAM init sequence.
> >
> Isn't the fact that I have RAM from 0x0000 means that RAM is initialized?

No, it does not. Mapping some address space in the memory  controller
and actually initializing a device are completely different issues.

> I have checked in Uboot that I can write and read this RAM so I am sure
> I have it.

Please read the archives. Simple read and write access are easy; this
still does not give any guarantee that burst mode accesses will work.

> What other initialization should be done?

I already told you:

READ THE DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED  BY  THE  MANUFACTURER  OF  YOUR  RAM
CHIPS. IT SHOULD CONTAIN A SECTION ABOUT THE REQUIRED INIT SEQUENCE.

And _please_ read the mail list archive.

> >And what about bd_info?
> >
> I have checked bd_info and it transfers the clock in Hz and also
> transfer the right RAM
> and IMMR information.

Argh... You make it really difficult to help you.

Did you check ALL items of the FAQ "Linux hangs  after  uncompressing
the kernel", i. e. did you really make sure that U-Boot and Linux are
using the SAME version of bd_info?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Schshschshchsch.
	-- The Gorn, "Arena", stardate 3046.2