[U-Boot-Users] [Patch]New board support : lite_dw

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 7 01:41:10 CEST 2004

Dear Sam,

sorry for the delay.

In message <20040504010903.79934.qmail at web15212.mail.bjs.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > > 2. 64MHz/48MHz system clock options;
> > If possible, make it automatically detect  the
> > clock  frequency  and  auto-adjust.  Your  users
> > will  praise  you if the same binary image
> > works on both configurations.
>
> This is really a challenge for me.I meant to build two
> targets for it and did.How to make it?Usually we set
> PLPRCR in <board.h> to choose system clock for board
> init.It seems that it's programmers to decide the
> value according to CPU max frequency and oscillator's
> frequency on the board.Any clue with it?

How do you you initialize your HRCW? Again, you can check the TQM8xxL
boards to see how to deal with differing  clock  configurations;  you
can  even  allow  the  user  to  adjust the clock frequency using the
"cpuclk" environment variable.

> > > 3. ENV_IS_IN_FLASH/ENV_IS_IN_NVRAM;
> >
> > Either make it a  different  build  targets,  or
> > select  a  standard configuration  and  let  the
> > user  decide to modify the board config file.
>
> I really want to make the second possible.Did u-boot
> command do this job?

I recommend to provide a default configuration which uses environment
in flash; you  provide  the  second  option  (environment  in  NVRAM)
commented  out  ("#  if 0" or so) in the config file, so the user can
enable it if he likes so.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In the pitiful, multipage, connection-boxed form to which  the  flow-
chart  has  today  been  elaborated, it has proved to be useless as a
design tool -- programmers draw flowcharts after, not before, writing
the programs they describe.                        - Fred Brooks, Jr.