[U-Boot-Users] UART Initialization Problem (ns16550 on arm920t)

Rodel Miguel rodelfmiguel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:14:31 CET 2004

Hi,

I am porting u-boot 1.1.1 on a new board.  The board is arm920t based
and it's UART port is compatible with ns16550.c so I changed the
serial driver (serial.c) on the cpu/arm920t directory with the serial
driver + ns16650 module available in the drivers directory.  I am
using bdi2k for debugging and I have initialized the UART port on the
bdi2k config.  The problem is that when the initialization routine in
armboot_start calls serial_init of the ns16550, there are no messages,
i.e. no prompt, on my serial console.  When I remove the serial_init
on the list of initialization functions of armboot_start, a prompt
appears. I can successfully type help, and do other stuff.  Whenever I
try to remove the initialization routine on my BDI2k configuration and
put back the serial_init function on the initialization list, I am not
getting any messages on my serial console.

What could be the cause of this problem?  The initialization routine
on the bdi2k and serial_init are almost the same (i tried to make the
sequence and the values exactly the same but I get the same result)
but there are no messages displayed on my console. =(

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Rodel Miguel