[U-Boot-Users] Uboot over Redboot

Craig Hughes craig at gumstix.com
Sat Nov 20 19:25:10 CET 2004

On Nov 20, 2004, at 6:26 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <000401c4ced5$9c4ffc20$4501a8c0 at bgcw301> you wrote:
>>
>> Just a bit more. Is there any reference which provides the
>> functionalities supported by uboot of size 80KB?
>
> No, but you can easily try it out  -  chose  a  board  (probably  one
> without embedded environment) and de-select features; build and test.
>
>> Performance option was wrong. It doesn't mean anything to the
>> bootloader.
>
> Well, of course the boot loader should not add unnecessary delays  to
> the total boot time.

To do some justice to u-boot, performance is actually an issue in some
areas.  For example, on a device with slow flash but fairly fast CPU,
being able to compress your OS image then decompress before booting it
is quite a performance advantage.  In our tests, a gzipped uImage
begins booting the OS about 2-5 seconds faster than an unzipped image,
depending on how big the kernel is.