[U-Boot-Users] Booting U-Boot from tftp

Chan Siu Ming namely_void at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 14:12:01 CEST 2004

First, thanks for the answer.

<20041025180012.87220.qmail at web25002.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>
> you wrote:
> >
> > Would someone happen to know how I could boot into
> > U-Boot on IBM Walnut (PPC 405GP) using the ROM
> monitor
> > only? Just for testing before flashing. A ROM
> monitor
>
> This has been asked many, many times before. It can

Sorry. I couldn't find an answer by searching the
mailing list archives (tried ppcboot also).

> be done, but this
> requires modifications to U-Boot, which require more
>  knowledge  than
> you  have  (no offence meant - but otherwise you

None taken and you're right about that, of course.
However, if it's not too difficult could you tell me
how?

I could also use a debugger to load u-boot. I tried
doing the following after a piece of advice on the
ppcboot mailing list (google for ppcboot +riscwatch):
 * change walnut405/config.mk code segment start to
(ADDR_IN_RAM)
* change config/WALNUT405.h CFG_FLASH_BASE (and
CFG_MONITOR_BASE) to (ADDR_IN_RAM)
After that it didn't build .bin anymore (objcopy
freezes), but ELF was built and I tried loading that
with a debugger, but that didn't work. Is this kind of
trick possible with u-boot anymore?