[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and Nand Flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 9 20:10:47 CEST 2004

In message <963b3387040909105576176dee at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > U-Boot will NOT fit into a 16 kB block. And U-Boot cannot be made  to
> > boot  directly  from  such  a  block.  You  will  need to implement a
> > different loader.
>
> So I guess that my best option would be to use a small primary
> bootloader to boot U-Boot from RAM.

Indeed.

> If I am reading everything correctly, I should have to change the
> reset and start locations (.resetvec and .bootpg) along with the setup
> of the MMU (as all TLB Entries are cleared currently.)

Remember that U-Boot does not use virtual memory.

> I'm probably missing other steps that are required, I'll be looking at
> the startup code in more detail.

Indeed. You will ahve to re-invent all CPU and memory controller init
stuff in your primary bootstrap loader, and disable them  in  U-Boot.
It's serious surgery...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                                                      -- Isaac Asimov