[U-Boot-Users] RE: help: images in example directory are invalid

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 30 17:36:30 CEST 2004

In message <1096556093.10111.12.camel at mhpajh5c> you wrote:

> I presume, then, that I'm either reading the wrong README or the wrong
> section of it. Thus, following the algorithm given later in the README,

Or you're misinterpreting what you read.

> Anyway, in the readme under "Standalone HOWTO" I read and follow:
>
> => loads
> ....fine I load the hello_world.srec
>
> go 40004 blah blah blah
> ## Starting application at 0x00040004

Correct.

> HANG
>
> hmm....The hang very much bugs me, and I have no idea why it happens,
> however, I just want to run an image, and lo and behold:

You must be doing something wrong. This works fine for me.

Ummm... was your image really built for start address 0x00040004?

> => imi 0x00040004
> Bad Magic Number

This is normal. Ther eis no image header for standalone applications.
[It's "standalone applications", not "standalone application  images"
-  mind  the  difference.  Of  course  you can also build "standalone
application  images"  which  will  have  a  (hopefully  valid)  image
header.]

> What have I read incorrectly, please? When I do a loads, it loads into
> ram, right? Good deal, my ram starts at address 0x0 so everything should

No, it loads to the address you give inthe SRECORD file, this may  be
RAM,  or may be flash, or may be garbage. The result may be different
for each of these cases.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all  nervous  and
give the wrong answers.