[U-Boot-Users] make: *** [u-boot] Error 139

Anthony Russello arussello at rogers.com
Fri Apr 1 00:47:44 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to compile u-boot version 1.1.2 unmodifed
on an iBook G4 with the following specs:

glibc: 2.3.4
gcc: 3.4.3
binutils: 2.15.90.0.3-r3

Here are the steps I'm using, please let me know if
I've screwed something up:

make Sandpoint8245_config
make

The build appears to go through fine until near the
end, where it is trying to use ld with the option:

...-Map u-boot.map -o u-boot

Then I see this every time in the same place:

make: *** [u-boot] Error 139

u-boot.map is empty at this point.

The exact same thing happens when I try to build
u-boot using a cross compiler built on an x86 machine
for a powerpc 603e cpu.  u-boot.map is also empty

Also, I get the exact same error when trying to do the
same task on a Pegasos machine running Debian.  The
only difference on the Pegasos machine is that it
actually gets part way through creating
u-boot.map.u-boot.map actually contains some data.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  My
attempts to look the issue up through google have
yielded results like "check the hardware, bad ram or
disk corruption", or, "it's the fault of binutils
2.15".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I've
wasted two days changing and rebuilding cross
compilers, and testing on different machines.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony