[U-Boot-Users] RFC: U-Boot Environment support in SystemAce Compact FLASH

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at Raytheon.com
Mon Aug 22 17:54:49 CEST 2005

Hello all -
I have completed the initial port of U-Boot to a custom PPC405/VirtexII
Pro FPGA board and I am starting to look at ways to store the U-Boot
environment in the CF card used for FPGA configuration by the Xilinx
SystemAce.
As it stands now, there is DOS FAT read support in U-Boot but no write
support, so that would have to be added if the environment was to be
stored as a DOS file on the CF card.  Another option might be to partition
the CF card so as to leave a few sectors unused and use low-level sector
read/write routines to store the environment directly to the CF card. This
solution seems straightforward, but seems somehow inelegant.
I am leaning toward the approach of adding DOS FAT write support and
adjusting the initial U-Boot environment to provide sufficient stack space
to run the DOS filesystem code during initial boot.  Does this seem
reasonable?  Does anyone know where the original DOS filesystem code came
from?

Keith