[U-Boot-Users] MPC8272ADS PCI limitation in u-boot

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Tue Jan 11 10:12:54 CET 2005

    Keath> This seems to be the case. Basically, the issue I am having
    Keath> is that when I attempt to boot Linux, my PCI devices aren't
    Keath> getting mapped properly. Linux attempts to map some, but
    Keath> gives up saying it can not allocate the regions.  This would
    Keath> seem to suggest that the firmware/boot-loader needs to deal
    Keath> with it.

Since Linux should not rely on initialisations made by the firmware and
must itself initialise necessary hardware, this would suggest that the
board-specific code in the kernel should take care of proper bridge
initialisation. Anyway, U-Boot can't guess all OS requirements. This is
what we do on many boards (including MPC8272ADS) and we never had such
problems.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel