[U-Boot-Users] Patch: allow a fixed port for TFTP (take 3)

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Jan 12 14:40:58 CET 2005

Tolunay Orkun wrote:
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> In message <41E4657F.6010406 at orkun.us> you wrote:
>>

>>> I will pledge for clarity over 6 more bytes in environment which most
>>> boards will not define anyway. If that is not reasonable, please
>>> allow for "tftpsrcport" or "tftpcport".
>>>

>> So be it "tftpsrcport" then. Or "tftpsrcp" :-)
>>

> I prefer "tftpsrcport". I hope Jerry will agee as well.
>
>> ["tftpcport" ??? TFT-PC-Port? Or 'c' like what???]
>>

> 'c' was to stand for "client". Just like bootpc and bootps in /etc/services
>
>>> I actually want to provide a complimentary patch over this one to
>>> make the tftp server port configurable which the environment variable
>>> can be appropriately named as one of "tftpserverport", "tftpdestport"
>>> or
>>

>> tftpdstport or tftpdstp, please.
>>

> IMHO, "tftpdstport" is better.
>
>>> "tftpsport". I also want to use the same CONFIG_TFTP_PORT variable to
>>

>> [Seems to be some funny kind of exercise, this: TFTP  sport.  And  is
>> misleading - TFTP _S_ource Port ?]
>>

> Yes, that is kind of vague. Again, I used bootpc and bootps analogy.
>
>>> enable both environment variables unless you object in which case
>>> naming the config variables as CONFIG_TFTP_CLIENT_PORT and
>>> CONFIG_TFTP_SERVER_PORT is probably better.
>>>

>> OK.
>>

> OK for which? OK to use CONFIG_TFTP_PORT for enabling code for both
> "tftpsrcport" and "tftpdstport"?
>
> Best regards,
> Tolunay

OK, If I follow all the quoting correctly :-O, an acceptable set of
names is the following.  This is not Tolunay's first choice (sorry), in
this case I'll suck up and side with Wolfgang ;-).

tftpsrcp - Source UDP port for TFTP (Jerry's patch)
tftpdstp - Destination UDP port for TFTP (Tolunay's projected
            follow-on)

Patch Version 4.rc1 to follow...

gvb
"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes
necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production." (attributed to
MacUser in 1990)