[U-Boot-Users] Loading Uboot Image from SDRAM

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 20:17:32 CET 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:22:03 -0800 (PST), Alireza Sadri
<arsadri at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I need to load my new uboot image from SDRAM , not
> from Flash. Is that possible and how can i do that?

Yes this is possible, however in most cases not a good idea (See the
links to the FAQs already posted.)

I've done this with our platform as we only have 4KB able to be booted
from (much much too small for U-Boot.)  So we have a primary
bootloader that comes up on boot, does all board and processor
initialization (including TLB's and SDRAM) required for the platform
and then loads a modified version of U-Boot into SDRAM.

In this case, U-Boot is only used as a ROM Loader and does not handle
many of the tasks that it would normally handle to normally bring-up
the board.  Additionally, in this case, the U-Boot Loader running from
SDRAM CANNOT be used as the only boot agent and will require another
boot agent to load it.

Regards,
--
Bradley Remedios