[U-Boot-Users] really really tiny code

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 26 10:35:01 CET 2005

In message <1106684792.3804b95cnishant.subs at myrealbox.com> you wrote:

> I want to write a really tiny program - just init core, MMU and stop.
> Preferably, (if possible) I would like to start out with a blank file,
> type in the code, and give the compile command at the good old command prom=
> pt.
>
> Is it possible? If yes, can anyone please tell me the command?

Yes, it is poossible. You will need more than one command,  at  least
"vi" and "ppc_82xx-gcc".

> Would any other files (.lds, etc) be necessary? What else will be required?

Yes, you will most probably need a linker script.

One of the most important requirements is an  in-depth  understanding
of your hardware environment and how to write software for it.

> I need a micro development environment like this from where I can do all
> my work out of the cosy little (really limited, I know) DPRAM, and try
> out some experiments with the processor's registers and config.
> I might even be adventurous and try initializing the ports and
> glowing some LEDs :-)
>
> What do I do? How do I proceed? Please help.

U-Boot includes all the init stuff you will probably  re-0invent,  so
feel  free  to  copy  and  re-use  this  code  (and make your program
available under GPL), but please understand that you are on your  own
with such a project.

Sorry, but this is off topic here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
in God.