[U-Boot-Users] duplicate environment variables in U-Boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 28 21:45:03 CET 2005

Dear Clemens,

in message <41FA1A2D.9080305 at anagramm.de> you wrote:

> Several times, I ran into troubles with the command parsing of
> U-Boot. Sometimes - especially if I had to do some simple corrections
> (backspace only, no delete, no cursor movements) the 'set xxx yyy)
> command doesn't get recognized.

Assuming that there are no hardware problems with your  board  I  bet
you _did_ use something else by backspace only.

> And, finally, due to some of these problems, I guess, I got
> now a duplicate environment variable:

In theory this is impossible. I have seen a couple of cases  where  a
customer  claimed to have such problems, but closer inspection always
showed that the "duplicate" names were not  identical,  but  one  (or
sometimes  both)  had some strange (and invisible) control characters
embedded.

> bootfile=/mlinux.UB.T1
> bootfile=/vmlinux.UB.T1

I'm afraid such a listing is useless. I guess you got it  by  copy  &
paste  from  the  console  window. This idoes not help at all, as you
cannot see unvisible characters (obviously :-)

> Any ideas, fixes, suggestions?

Yes. Ryn your session under a tool which records _all_ output, inclu-
ding escape sequences and other control characters, like  by  running
your  terminal  emulation  program  in a "script" session. Then use a
tool which shows escape sequences and other control characters,  like
"vi" or "hexdump" to analyse the logfile.

I bet there are  embedded  control  characters  in  your  "duplicate"
names.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Military secrets are the most fleeting of all.
	-- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.4