[U-Boot-Users] Mac Address communication to Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 19 17:03:39 CEST 2005

In message <cbc1ab7705071906205ac8b0b9 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Ok, i was just wondering if Linux try to access to the environnment variable
> "ethaddr" to get it's value (i've forget one or two words in my question and
> i ask you to excuse me for that)

This is obviously a question of which ethernet driver you are  using.
On PowerPC the current standard is to pass the MAC addres(es) as part
of the bd_info structure; other architectures have different ways, or
the one who implements the driver invents one.

Of course it is also possible to access the  U-Boot  environment  for
this purpose, but to me this seems to be overkill.

> but to access to ethaddr, someone say me that i can modify the Linux driver
> to catch the ethaddr by a custom option in my bootargs

Yes, this is an option, too.

And please stop posting HTML.

Post plain text only.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de