[U-Boot-Users] autostart

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 12 12:15:57 CET 2005

In message <200503121044.j2CAiwQ28057 at hofr.at> you wrote:

>  So how can I get u-boot to just do the decompression but not pass control to
>  the kernel ?

For compressed images of type "standalone" you  can  use  the  method
described in the FAQ:
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/HowCanILoadAndUncompressACompressedImage

For Linux kernel images this will not work: the Linux kernel  expects
to  be laoded at address 0x0000; when you load it, you will overwrite
U-Boot's exception vectors - the next timer interrupt would crash the
system. This is why there is a point of  no  return  when  loading  a
Linux kernel image -- U-Boot will then disable all interrupts, and in
case of errors the only way out is to reset the board.

Can't you use a real debugger like the BDI2000?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A girl with a future avoids the man with a past.
                                   -- Evan Esar, "The Humor of Humor"