[U-Boot-Users] mkimage parameters for cramfs.img

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 6 11:59:04 CEST 2005

In message <200505060859.j468wv8R013906 at ismp.csie.ncku.edu.tw> you wrote:

> After u-boot places the cramfs image to the expected location without
> wrapped by mkimage, the filesystem is mounted.

Then you know now that you have been passing bad addresses.

> (My uClinux port does not use MTD driver. Instead, it uses ramdisk driver to
> load cramfs image to ram. Hence, I now use u-boot cp command to copy cramfs
> image from flash to ram directly.)

Did you compare the memory consumption of this solution against using
a standard ramdisk? IMHO cramfs makes only sense when used in  a  MTD
flash partition (so that you only load the needed components to RAM);
when  you  load the whole image anyway your're usually more efficient
with a plain ramdisk.

> Originally, I hope to use mkimage to add header to cramfs image to gain
> crc32 check protection.

You can do that, with a ramdisk image. Seems that in  your  case  the
address passed to the Linux kernel was wrong, though.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
As usual, this being a 1.3.x release, I haven't  even  compiled  this
kernel yet. So if it works, you should be doubly impressed.
      - Linus Torvalds in <199506181536.SAA10638 at keos.cs.Helsinki.FI>