[U-Boot-Users] "Syslog implementation in u-boot"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 17 09:13:47 CEST 2005

Dear Nagi,

in message <33696.202.62.67.130.1116302845.squirrel at 202.62.67.130> you wrote:

> We need to implement syslog concept in u-boot also.

No need to reinvent the wheel. This is what the  logging  driver  was
made  for.  It  handles a ring buffer which is compatible to theLinux
implementation and can be passed directly between kernel and  U-Boot,
i.  e.  you  can  log  messages in U-Boot (like the POST routines are
doing with their test results) and pick them up under Linux,  or  you
can use U-Boot to display the log buffer contents for example after a
Linux kernel crash. See common/cmd_log.c

Note that the Linux kernel must be adapted minimally to pick up  such
a  pre-initialized  log buffer; you can find the modifications in our
kernel tree.

> Here i have to implement syslog to send messages when any currepted images
> are being downloaded into embedded system.

You mean you want syslog over UDP?

> Can some one tell me how to enable syslog clien t in u-boot are any
> libraries are available to send messages to syslog server.

There are no such "libraries". You will have  to  build  the  network
packets  manually.  I  recommend  to  implement  such a feature asa n
extension to the existing log buffer driver.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Certainly there are things in life that money  can't  buy,  but  it's
very funny - Did you ever try buying them without money? - Ogden Nash