[U-Boot-Users] iminfo - Bad Header Checksum

Dale Dunlea daledunlea at commergy.com
Sun May 29 23:25:35 CEST 2005

I wrote:

> I'm using a Metrowerks MPC8540 test board, which came pre-installed
> with U-Boot 1.0.1(eval-20040206-0-pre4). I suspect that this may be
> part of the problem i.e. that I have an old version of U-Boot burned
> to flash. I do not currently have the means to re-flash the board back
> to its current state, and so I am reluctant to try and upgrade U-Boot
> just yet.

I've done a little bit more digging and have discovered the following:

If I zero out the CRC block on my downloaded image and run the crc32
command, it generates the same CRC that was already in there, implying
that it is correct. I then copied the Linux image which is stored in
flash down into ram, and ran iminfo. The image passed. I then zeroed the
CRC block of this image, and ran the crc32 command. The CRC it generated
was different from the one that had been there.

It appears to me that Metrowerks have flashed a modified version of
U-Boot which uses a different checksum function when verifying the
header. If this is the case, then presumably under the terms of the GPL,
they have to publish their changes? I've not been able to find anything
to this effect though.

Has anyone else used this board? Further searching of the archives led
me to this thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9964369

Which seems to be exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately, that
thread seems to end without a resolution.

Again, thanks to anyone who can shed light on the situation.

Regards,
Dale Dunlea