[U-Boot-Users] custom mpc83xx based board support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 2 11:58:17 CET 2005

In message <20051102095455.97277.qmail at web36315.mail.mud.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I'm planning to prepare embedded Linux installation
> on custom made board using mpc83xx CPU. As much as I
> understand, to support it I'll need to write support
> code in boards directory and header file in
> include/configs. What are the chances that existing
> code for mpc8349ads will work ? and if not can I cook

It will not work. You will hav e to port  U-Boot  to  your  hardware.
There is no way around this.

> something based on this code with minimal changes ?
> Another question is whether 2.6.* kernel configured
> and built for mpc83xx family should work with any
> board
> based on this CPU or some board specific changes
> must be done in the kernel ?

Yes. See for example the TQM834x support  in  U-Boot  and  Linux  2.6
(patches submitted on the mailing list, checked in on our GIT repo).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People  who  aren't  busy
all the time might start to _think_.  - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_