[U-Boot-Users] Help on mpc8260ads flash u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 27 10:09:46 CEST 2005

Dear Batsayan Das,

please stop posting regular messages to the u-boot-users-admin address!

In message <OFC0C54AF2.1E9DA6CB-ON652570A7.0026735A-652570A7.00294C91 at tcs.com> you wrote:

> The board is not exactly MPC8260ADS. It is similar to this and the RAM
> version of the u-Boot tree is abailable. Does this mean that we need to
> burn the flash with the  image (u-boot.bin OR u-boot.srec ?) we obtained
> by the compiling the RAM version of the u-Boot source tree?

No. It will not work. You need a real version of U-boot  (vconfigured
and  built  and  linked for booting from flash). As mentioned before,
your "RAM version" is just a total waste of efforts.

> The flash attached to our board is mapped from 0x0 address. The u-boot

Then change the memory map.

> document says that the SDRAM should be mapped to 0x0 to make it work. So,
> in my case as the flash is mapped to 0x0, then how shall I proceed?  Does

Change the memory map. Map RAM at 0, and flash somewhere else.

> the memory mapping is determined by the h/w  design of the board?

No, this is only done in software.

> As I know that HRCW of our board is stored from adress 0x0 to address
> 0xFF. Does this mean we need to burn the image (u-boot.bin OR u-boot.srec
> ?) from the adress 0x100?

No.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.
	-- Kirk, "The return of the Archons", stardate 3157.4