[U-Boot-Users] Accessing mkimage checksum

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 28 09:38:43 CEST 2006

In message <20060428070721.31282.qmail at web15909.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > mkimage does not display the checksum, but it checks
> > it, and you  get error messages and appropriate
> > exit code in case of error.
>
> That's not enough in some cases. Factory engineers
> need CRC32 checksum of a ROM image for programming

Both of the checksums stored  with  the  U-Boot  image  are  internal
checksums,  which  are computed over certain areas in the image. None
of these checksums is goot for use with a programmer.

On the other hand, all programmers I know are  capable  of  computing
the checksum themself.

> verfication. Besides,a stuff like U-Boot/Kernel/
> Rootfs combination cannot be checked by mkimage -l.

Obviously not. But nobody ever clamined that.

> So seems an utility which can check the image's
> CRC32 checksum is better. I used to download the
> stuff to RAM in u-boot and got the result with
> crc32 command:-)

You have different purposes, so other tools are more appropriate  for
you.  But these tools also exist, i. e. there is no need to write any
new code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Drun'? 'm not drun'! You woudn' dare call m' drun' if I was sober!
                                     - Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_